Just written up the recipe for Guacamole – one of my all-time favourite foods. This is a recipe I’ve used for many years now, so I was thrilled when I watched Thomasina Miers on her programme about Simple Mexican food using exactly the same ingredients.
Just right for a summer lunch (even if the sun isn’t shining), and full of good things. Right now the Kitchen Garden is just about to offer up masses of luscious red, gold and stripey tomatoes, and millions of chillis are almost at their full length. Love the colours of all these fruits, and it just makes me want to eat and eat all this gorgeous healthy Mediterranean-style food.
Guacamole, with lots and lots of Tortilla Chips is one of my favourite meals.
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 small red onion – sliced thickly
- 1 green chilli – seeded
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 ripe medium tomato
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 red chilli – seeded and sliced into thin rings
- Fresh Coriander leaves
- Tortilla chips
- Stone the avocados and peel gently.
- Put all the main ingredients in food processor and process until fairly smooth. Some like it super-smooth, others like it chunky. The choice is yours.
- If you want to prepare this an hour or so before the meal, bury the avocado stone in the middle of the mixture and cover with clingfilm – keep cool in the fridge.
- Spoon guacamole into serving dish, or individual ones. Thinly scatter the red chilli rings over and decorate with the fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with Tortilla chips, lots of them.