Irresistible Apple Recipe
Isn’t it strange that when I was looking for Christmas recipes to make ahead, I just chanced upon this irresistible apple recipe that I, for one, was not able to resist. Why, you ask? Because it looks fairly easy to make, and looks exceptionally ‘yummy’, especially when partnered with thick cream or good vanilla ice-cream. Take a look at the picture and tell me that you, too, can’t resist it.
Salted Caramel, Apple & Roasted Hazelnut Galette Recipe
- 150g plain flour
- 75g grounds almonds
- 2tablespoons caster sugar
- 175g chilled butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 tablespoons iced water
- 100g butter
- 150g muscovado sugar
- 100ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salr
- 2 apples - I love using Pink Lady if available
- 20g plain flour
- 50g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 100g roasted and chopped hazelnuts
- Process together the flour, almonds, sugar, chopped butter and a pinch of salt until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk with a little water and blitz again until it comes together, adding further water if needed. Using your hands, press the pastry into a round disk, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for about 30 mins.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a pan over a medium heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve, then bring to a boil for a few minutes. Stir the double cream and sea salt through it and set aside.
- Peel the apples and cut them into neat slices, then toss them in a bowl with the flour, sugar, cinnamon and hazelnuts.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 3 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Roll the pastry out gently into a circle about the thickness of a £1 coin. Arrange the apple slices and nuts into the centre, drizzle with a little caramel and pull the edges up on all sides (see picture above). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- Drizzle with a little more caramel sauce and serve hot with vanilla ice cream, custard or thick cream. Enjoy!!
Well, would you believe it, my choice of this irresistible apple recipe is now making me very hungry on this cold Sunday morning. Typing up the words ‘salted caramel’, ‘apples’, ‘drizzle with a little caramel’ at 7.30am, whilst still in my dressing gown and with freezing fingers makes me want to tear up that lovely picture above and eat it ravenously! But no – as a supposedly sensible adult I shall go and wake Erik (again), have a shower and get on with my preparations for Christmas.
With 9 people staying a few nights and round our table on Christmas Day, I have quite a bit of tidying up to do in our house, and although I’m hopefully getting better, I still have a right arm that isn’t quite working properly, so polishing and ironing are not my favourite tasks at the moment. But searching out new recipes (including this irresistible apple recipe) is a chance for a good sit-down at my computer. So look out for lots of ‘get-ahead’ tips and more Christmas recipes coming soon.