Chanced upon this great recipe for a fun, light meal. With warm summer days still gently lingering in Hornsea, but the cooler tentacles of autumn beginning to stretch towards us, I though this would be a good meal to try out on Erik. It’s 7.00 am, and after having been lucky enough to still have warm, sunny days, we’ve not changed into our ‘pie and gravy’ mode just yet. No doubt that will happen soon. See what you think to Corn Fritters with Spicy Zucchini Salsa recipe.
Corn Fritters with Spicy Zucchini Salsa is a great light meal. You can try adding extra spice - in the patties try cayenne, chives or cheese. Add lime zest to both the salsa and the patties. And the additon of a sour cream dip, or chipotle aioli (mayonnaise) would make this a real treat to eat.
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced and split apart
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chilli, seeded and diced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro (coriander)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro (coriander),
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice,
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or small piece of diced red chilli)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg plus 1 extra egg white
- 2 cups corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup red onion
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, zucchini, 1/2 red onion, garlic, jalapeno, 1/4 tsp salt and oil. Toss to coat.
- Spread on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Roast, turning once until tomatoes and zucchini are light brown, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Toss with 1.4 cup cilantro and 1 tbsp lime juice and put to one side.
- Meanwhile, in a second bowl, combine flour, cumin, chilli or chilli powder, baking powder and remaining 1.4 tsp salt.
- Add the egg, egg white,remaining 1 tbsp lime juice and 1.2 cup water. Stir until smooth (no lumps required.)
- Add corn and remaining 1/2 onion and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Coat a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium-high heat.
- This mixture should make 12 patties - form into round shape as smooth as possible.
- Fry 3 patties at once, using more spray if needed. Cook patties, turning once until brown - 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- Serve patties and salsa and enjoy.