These Spiced Christmas Biscuits are based on a recipe from the magazine Woman and Home, with the addition of one or two of my favourite spices.
- 300g (10 oz) plain flour
- 1 tsb baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 100g (4 oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 60g (2 1/2 oz) golden syrup
- Coloured or sparkly gel writing icing, baubles, sparkly sprinkles or lustre dust to decorate your biscuits.
- Ribbon if you are going to hang these from the tree.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. 150° fan, 325° F, Gas mark 3. For AGA cooking, cook the biscuits on the 2nd runner from the top of the Baking Oven, turning the tray round once during cooking. Grease 3 baking trays.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, the spices and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in sugar.
- Beat the eggs and golden syrup together and add to the flour mixture, beating well. Knead the dough lightly - it will be quite sticky. Wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to 6mm (1/4 in) thick on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, then cut into shapes with decorative cutters. Scraps of dough can be brought together and re-rolled until no dough remains. Place biscuits on the baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 mins, or until just set. Allow the biscuits to cool slightly on their trays before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with gel writing icing and sprinkles or lustre dust.
- Beat the eggs and golden syrup together and add to the flour mixture, beating well. Knead the dough lightly (it gets quite sticky). Wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and flour the rolling pin. Roll out the dough to the thickness of a one pound coin (approx 6mm or 1/4 inch) then using your cookie cutters, get creative and cut out your shapes. Keep rolling up the scraps and re-roll the dough until nothing is left. If wanting to hang these on your Christmas Tree, wriggle a skewer or cocktail stick through the top of each shape, making a decent sized hole.
- Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes (check frequently to prevent them burning) or until set. If the hole has closed up, whilst still warm, wriggle the stick round and round to remake the hole. Allow to cool for a few minutes then using a palette knife carefully remove (can be delicate) and finish cooling on a wire rack. These will store in an airtight tin.
- If icing, be creative with your colours, and match up the hanging ribbon with your icing. If you want to use Glace Icing, mix 185 - 250 g (61/2 - 9oz) icing sugar with a few drops of lemon juice. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice until the icing is thick. Pipe or smooth it on to the cold biscuits, add baubles, sprinkles and/or lustre dust to make your Spiced Christmas Biscuits sparkle.
Preparation Time: 20 mins plus chilling time
Cooking Time: 12 - 15 minutes