More Berry and Soft Fruit Recipes to tempt you this summer. I am so looking foward to using my own berries and strawberries to bake with, and I’m trying to build up a catalogue of more berry and soft fruit recipes to use throughout the year. My new freezer is going to fill up quickly if all my fruits ripen at the same time! But I’m not worried – I’ll just enjoy making scrummy cakes. Hope you have a go as well.
This Strawberry and Cinnamon Torte just looked too good to miss – it looks scrumptious and crunchy all at the same time, and as soon as my Strawberries are ready, this will be in our oven in no time, and eaten with a large dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
So sorry to those trying this recipe. I was just about to make the cake and I read the instructions - then I thought "What almonds?" Unfortunately BBC Good Food had covered up the line 175g ground almonds with an advert, but I had to print the recipe out from their page and found the missing Ground Almonds ingredient, so here it now is. Apologies again.
Orlando Murrin is a respected food writer, who was Editor of BBC Good Food magazine some time ago, moved to France for a few years and is now back in the UK.
- 175g ground almonds
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 450g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Whipped double cream mixed with Greek Yoghurt (half & half is good), to serve. Or a rich Vanilla Icecream.
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas4/fan 160C (For AGA - top shelf in the Baking Oven).
- Line the base of a loose-bottomed 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.
- Mix almonds, butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon, egg and egg yolk in a food processor just until the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Spread half the mixture over the base of the tin in a smooth layer with no gaps - easiest to do this with 2 forks. Lay the sliced strawberries on top. Add the remaining cake mixture and spread it as best as you can, but don't worry if a few strawberries peep though.
- Check cake after 40 mins - if getting too brown cover loosely with foil. Should be baked for 1 hour (it may need and extra 5 - 15 mins). The torte should be slightly risen and dark golden brown when cooked.
- Cool in tin for a few minutes, then loosen the edges with a knife and remove carefully from tin. Slide the torte onto a plate and dredge with a sprinkling of icing sugar.
- Serve warm or cold, in wedges, with dollops of the cream/Greek yoghurt mixture, or a rich Vanilla Icecream.
Now, who could resist this next one, on a lovely summer’s day, with a wedge of the Strawberry and Cinnamon Torte? Raspberry and Prosecco Cocktail is a great summer drink to share with friends over an alfresco lunch or as the opener to an evening meal. Try it with Strawberries as well.
- 18 fresh raspberries
- 90 ml raspberry-flavoured vodka
- A bottle of Prosecco
- This looks best in Martini glasses or Champagne flutes, but any wine-glass will do. Put 3 raspberries in the base of each glass.
- Pour equal amounts of the vodka of the raspberries and top up the glasses with Prosecco. Enjoy! I know I will!
I hope you enjoy the recipes of more berry and soft fruit dishes to enjoy this summer – I can’t wait for all my soft fruit to ripe so that I can taste the ‘fruits’ of all my hard work.