Recipe: Malted Molasses Soda Bread
I love this recipe for Malted Molasses Soda Bread because it is so rich and flavourful – and so easy to make, with no proving time. Just mix and bake.
- 250g malted flour, 250 strong white flour
- 1 Tbsp molasses, 30g butter
- 2 Tbsps Oatmeal or Porridge Oats, 1 Tsp salt, 1 Tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 egg, 300 mls organic yoghurt. A bit of milk to mix
- Line 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Or invest in a catering quality non-stick pan and save yourself the bother - only about a fiver. It's worth the buy.
- Set oven to 200C (less if fan, better set non-fan but top and bottom heating on). Sieve white flour with bicarb and salt; add malt flour and oats; dry mix well in a large bowl.
- Gently melt butter in pan with molasses; blend well and stir into yoghurt. Whisk well, but don’t go mad and then blend in the egg. Mix liquid with contents of flour bowl. Add a little milk to get a soft cake-texture dough.
- Turn that lot into the tin and bake first for 25 mins and then turn down the heat a bit (10%) for another 15 -20 mins. Allow it to cool in the tin for 30 minutes then on a rack to completely cool.