Kale Seaweed Recipe
Yet another Kale Recipe to add to our growing list of recipes for using up the bounty from our own Kitchen Garden. This one is taken from Sarah Raven’s ‘Garden Cookbook’, and she suggests that it’s a great recipe to make when you’ve invited a few friends around for a relaxed meal. Enjoy.
(Taken from "Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook")
Sarah's recipe is for a party of 8 - 10 friends. But if there are fewer people, allow one and a half leaves of Kale per person for a first course.
- Groundnut oil for Deep Frying
- 500g (Just over 1 lb) Kale Leaves (preferably Redbor but any will do), well washed, midrib removed & torn into strips then dried in a salad spinner till very dry
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 2 good pinches of salt
- 25g (1 oz) cashew nuts or toasted flaked almonds
- To begin the Kale Seaweed Recipe - Heat groundnut oil to 170°C. Use a deep fat fryer if you have one. If not, the oil should fill only a third of the pan, so use a wide, heavy-based saucepan, rather than a frying pan.Either use an oil thermometer or just drop a strand of the kale into the oil and if it sizzles immediately, but doesn't burn, the oil is at the right temperature.
- Before you cook any kale, make sure it is thoroughly dry. When sure, carefully drop a handful of kale into the hot oil. Don't try to cook it all at once as the oil temperature will drop and the kale won't crisp up.
- Fry each batch for about ONE minute until the colour darkens. It will crisp up as it cools. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- Scatter the soft brown sugar and salt over the top, and add the crushed cashew nuts or flaked almonds, if using. Always serve immediately. It's far nicer hot. Enjoy your Kale Seaweed.
* Preparation Time: 15 mins (for washing & preparing Kale)